Saturday, July 22

Today was our day to leave Île d'Orlèans and head up the St Lawrence. But first we headed back to La Midinette for a couple ham & cheese croissants and fruit. 

We had no specific destination for the next two nights. We've made several reservations along our two month route, particularly the national and provincial parks, which fill up quickly. We've also left several open days so we can work in places we find along the way. Today's find was a city owned campground in Campbellton, New Brunswick. The town didn't amount to much but the campground was great, it was new and sat right on the Restigouche River. The river is famous for it's salmon fishing and is adjacent to the Sugarloaf Provincial Park. 


Our drive was mainly along the Trans Canada Highway. Along the way Kari called her ninety one year-old Aunt Dorothy. Dorothy is a hoot, she's the energizer bunny of the family and is literally involved in more activities than we are. She's also the official family gossip monger. I love her. I knew her long before I met Kari, I played little league with her kids and her husband Glen was one of our coaches.

Kari is a kind soul and loving niece, she's very good about keeping in touch with her aunts and uncles. They are an important link to her parents, both of whom we've lost. Her years of treating elderly patients gave her a unique insight into that phase of our lives-the struggles, the reflections, the joys. I know that her aunts and uncles appreciate her companionship as much as her patients did. 

Our podcast today was an Ezra Klein conversation with Tom Hanks. I'm a big Hanks fan and this is a great conversation. Klein calls him a unique interpreter of America given the breadth of roles he's played and his continuing ability to appeal to audiences across the many cultural and political divides we face today. It's really interesting, check it out: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ezra-klein-show/id1548604447?i=1000621129484

Just for good karma we jammed on the Tony Bennett channel on Sirius in honor of his passing. We've lost way too many music legends in the last few years-Tina Turner, David Crosby, Jeff Beck, and Christine McVie to name just a few. 

Oh, almost forgot, I crushed a couple flies with my new swatter...thank the good lord the fly population was thinning after leaving Quebec.


Another successful day...

No comments:

Post a Comment