We woke to a rainstorm, so we hung with Shirley for breakfast. Eggs, toast, and fruit for me, Kari polished off a spinach and feta croissant she'd been hoarding. Today's highlight was a beach walk. The beach is connected to the park via a boardwalk that traverses some cool marshes. You can walk nearly seventeen miles, and there is virtually no one around. Well, except this loner guy who had a little tent set up a couple miles down. Not sure what he was doing in there... He emerged when I was a little way off, and I couldn't quite tell whether he was sporting the latest thong, or was, shall we say, sharing all of his shriveling physique with lucky passersby. But I digress. As for the walk, it was fantastic, Kari went 7 miles, I cut mine short so I could score on a hot dog at their food stand:). I was still bitter from my failed A & W visit.
I listened to a Hacks on Tap podcast for a political fix. It's done by Mike Murphy and David Axelrod, longtime R & D (respectively) campaign consultants. Axelrod became famous with Obama but had been around for years before, Murphy is a veteran of dozens of congressional and gubernatorial campaigns, and worked with McCain, Romney etc. It's a great weekly review of the politics of the moment, not policy, just the straight politics. This weeks guest was Robert Costa, former WaPo political reporter now with CBS. These two are as good as anyone so check em out.
Later in the afternoon I headed out to find some wifi so I could download a few things. It was quite the adventure. The town was tiny, so all their establishments were close together. I'm not particularly clever, more akin to Inspector Clouseau than Banacek. With my black baseball cap, black t-shirt, dark sunglasses, and massive black SUV, I'm told I resemble a cheap imitation of an FBI agent. Or perhaps, a thief clumsily casing his next job? Anyway, I'd pull up out front of a business, put my iPad on the dash, and see if I could pirate a signal. In a couple cases I took my iPad inside and roamed around with it open, an odd look I'm sure. This is all fine unless you're creeping between these tightly packed local businesses... I started at the pharmacy, then the municipal building, then two gas stations, a Tim Horton's burger joint, and finally, a bank. The bank had a strong enough signal to work, but a lady came out, perched on the porch, and stared me down. I was convinced Barney Fife was on the way. I managed to get one thing downloaded, then figured I should move on. I had given up and was headed back when I passed Chloe's Quilting Cafe. Always trust a quilter right? Sure enough, their signal worked!
Dinner tonight was an Italian sausage and grilled pepper dish that Kari whipped up. It was, as always, really good:) She's such an amazing cook, I'm a lucky dude.



who knew stealing a little bandwidth was such a crime!
ReplyDelete