Today's highlight was another amazing hike, this time on the North Head Trail, which follows the coast on Signal Hill. Signal Hill overlooks the town and harbor of St John's. It also overlooks the "Narrows", the only entrance to the harbor. As such, it's had fortifications in place to protect the town that date to the mid 17th century. The scenery was spectacular. The trail was very well maintained and had an elaborate stair system to navigate the rocky coast.
Later in the day we hit the town, it was a happening place. George Street is the most famous area, it's a two block section of only bars and restaurants known for its late evenings and general debauchery. Newfoundland has a large Irish population and St. John's plays its part with several Irish bars. It's quite hilly, has the classic multi-colored Newfoundland housing stock, and sports a cool record store-Fred's. Fred's was celebrating its 50th anniversary and I found a Freddie Hubbard album I haven't seen before. Along with Wes Montgomery and JJ Johnson, Freddie is one of Indy's 3 all time jazz icons so I try and collect as many of their recordings as I can.
One thing I haven't mentioned are the cool flowers and gardens we've seen. The climate seems ideal for gardens, they're everywhere.
We dined at Blue on the Water, did a trip to the top of Signal Hill at dusk, then headed back to Pippy Park to bunk with Shirley. A great day.










No comments:
Post a Comment