Tuesday, August 22

Rain fell all night on Shirley's tin roof. Morning broke with more rain. The forecast said rain. It looked and felt like a rain out day. Rain rain go away... We'd been waiting for a time to see Oppenheimer, which opened right after we left home. So the combination of rain and actually being in a town large enough to have a theater was too much to resist. First we hit a Thai joint for lunch, we needed a break from seafood. It was actually a brewpub, the owners had started out in a food truck. The food was adequate. We killed a little more time in town hitting a few shops. Kari was eyeballing a pair of Blundstone boots I made the mistake of pointing out... it's a renowned brand made for wintery climes. Then we were on to the movie.

I found the movie really compelling. It was a good reminder that our nation has been through difficult times before. Scary times, uncertain times. I always feel the same when visiting Arlington National Cemetery. The movie also made me ponder a world I've never experienced-a world without nuclear weapons. Though obvious, it's something I've not thought much about since I've only been alive in the nuclear age. Watching those who developed the bomb struggle with the moral implications of their task really brought home that there was a before time, a better time. Nuclear weapons permanently changed our world. We'll never get the before times back.

Most importantly, it was a good reminder that we shouldn't once again risk giving the nuclear codes to a narcissistic psychopath. 

After the flick we headed back to hang with Shirley for the evening. Since I've been a little "cloudy" in this post I'll end on a higher note. Check out how beautiful clouds can be 😊




No comments:

Post a Comment