Friday, August 11

Dildo Run was a cool park, here's a shot of Shirley's latest perch next to the water.



I felt better but not normal (physically that is, I understand I'm not normal psychologically). Kari did a hike down the coast and I vegged on the coast and listened to some tunes. With this view, it wasn't much of a sacrifice:)



We learned that there is a rolling lobster season in the region, and we had just passed the cutoff for the spot we were in. Restaurants and retailers are allowed to stock lobster "pools" before the deadline, then sell them over time. The restaurant we hit for dinner claimed to have the biggest pool in the area. 



The restaurant was another modest, classic diner-style joint, but as always it had a damn nice setting. I've loved these seafood diners, they're all similar. Small, family-owned joints with Newfoundland home cookin focused on their bounty from the sea. The cooking is on the heavy/rich side, perhaps because of the cost and lack of availability of fresh produce. Newfoundland is not a particularly fertile area like Quebec and Nova Scotia and it's expensive to get things to the island. Tonight it was fish cakes with rhubarb sauce for me, seafood pasta for Kari. Yumm!



We cashed in early since I was still a little punky, capping another grueling day...

No comments:

Post a Comment